Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Matchbook Print" Inspiration

I love seeing where designers gather their inspiration--especially when it comes to prints. Some prints just remind me of something that I know I will never be able to pinpoint but I know that I will love them forever for some mysterious reason. Here is an excerpt from the Kate Spade blog explaining the history of the "matchbook print."







"'It all began with this kerchief that belonged to my mother who wore it with a matching bikini on her honeymoon in florida back in 1956,' says theresa canning zast, director of creative, 'for decades, she kept the scarf tucked away in her dresser, as a keepsake from the trip.' fast-forward fifty years, canning zast plucked it from “that drawer,” occasionally pulling it out to add a pop of panache to her summer beach outfits. 'while it’s a sweet accessory that’s a reminder of my mom, i felt the charming print should live on more than just a scarf, so i brought it in to show our design team.' we commissioned a watercolorist to reimagine the pattern using a few of our favorite jaunts as inspiration. this season, the vintage matchbook motif is brought to life..." 
  
courtesy of KateSpade.com

No comments:

Post a Comment