Sunday, June 23, 2013

It's the little things.

 
The New York Times did a great article re: the inordinate prices of designer footwear.
(see here: “Shoe Battles”)

It starts with a vivid portrayal of the Bergdorf shoe department and then moves on to more pressing matters: How did we decide shoes were worthy of such cost?

As someone who loves her shoes to their literal death I think that if I were in a position to buy such high priced and gorgeous shoes I would never wear them for fear of sitting on the curb crying after scuffing them on the endless cracked sidewalks of Seattle
 (I already have shoes that I will not walk on gravel in).

So, how did we get here? 
The article does site Carrie Bradshaw as a potential culprit but 
I enjoy this straightforward explanation:
 “ ‘Women have figured out quickly that shoes are a less expensive way of updating your wardrobe,’ said Bonnie Takhar, the president of Charlotte Olympia… ‘Plus they make you look taller.’ ”

Shoes available here by Charlotte Opympia (while supplies last).





shoes via The Outnet, quote via New York Times
article by Eric Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment